Gouda 1650

03:52 Mar 17 2015 Gouda, the Netherlands

Gouda 1650
Around the year 1100, the locality of Gouda was swampy and covered with a peat forest, crossed by small creeks such as the Gouwe. Along the shores of this stream near the current market and city hall, peat harvesting began in the 11th and 12th centuries. In 1139, the name Gouda is first mentioned in a statement from the Bishop of Utrecht.

In the 13th century, the Gouwe was connected to the Oude Rijn (Old Rhine) by means of a canal and its mouth at the Hollandse IJssel was developed into a harbour. Castle Gouda was built to protect this harbour. This shipping route was used for trade between Flanders and France with Holland and the Baltic Sea. In 1272, Floris V, Count of Holland, granted city rights to Gouda, which by then had become an important location. City-canals or grachten were dug and served as transport ways through the town.

Great fires in 1361 and 1438 destroyed the city. In 1572, the city was occupied by Les Gueux (Dutch rebels against the Spanish King) who also committed arson and destruction. In 1577 the demolition of Castle Gouda began.

In 1574, 1625, 1636, and 1673, Gouda suffered from deadly plague epidemics, of which the last one was the most severe: 2995 persons died, constituting 20% of its population.

The world famous Gouda cheese is not made in the city itself but in the surrounding region. It derives its name from being traded in Gouda where the city council imposes stringent quality controls. Gouda is also known for the fabrication of candles, smoking pipes, and stroopwafels. Gouda used to have a considerable linen industry and a number of beer breweries.

Main Attractions:

Old City Hall at the Markt square - built between 1448 and 1450, one of the oldest Gothic city halls in the Netherlands

The Waag (weigh house) - built in 1667 across from the Old City Hall, this building was used for weighing goods (especially cheese) to levy taxes. It now is a national monument. It currently hosts a small cheese museum

Great or Saint John Church - longest church in the Netherlands, famous for its stained glass windows which were made between 1530 and 1603, considered the most significant stained glass collection in the Netherlands. Recognized as a tourist attraction from the 17th century onwards.

Additional Data
year: 1650
accuracy (m): 15
map size (Mb): 275
artist: unknown
publisher: Joan Blaeu
image source: Wikimedia
map download link 1:
map download link 2:

Credibility: UP DOWN 0
Leave a Comment
Security Code:
20 + 1 =

Additional Maps

Schiedam 1598

22:35 Jan 01, 2015

Schiedam, the Netherlands, 23.72 Kms

Delft 1850

04:26 Mar 17, 2015

Delft, the Netherlands, 23.9 Kms

Delft 1649

04:12 Mar 17, 2015

Delft, the Netherlands, 24.21 Kms

The Hague 1747

20:34 Feb 13, 2015

The Hague, the Netherlands, 26.73 Kms

The Hague 1649

20:16 Feb 13, 2015

The Hague, the Netherlands, 28.36 Kms